> THERAPEUTIC INDICATION
CLAVUJECT is an antibiotic that kills bacteria that cause infections. It contains two different molecules, called amoxicillin and clavulanic acid. Amoxicillin belongs to a group of medicines called ‘penicillins’, which can sometimes no longer be effective (become inactivated). The other active ingredient (clavulanic acid) prevents this inactivation.
CLAVUJECT is used in adults and children to treat the following infections/
- severe ear, nose and throat infections,
- respiratory tract infections,
- urinary tract infections,
- skin and soft tissue infections, including oral infections,
- bone and joint infections,
- intra-abdominal infections,
- female genital tract infections,
- prevention of surgery-related infections in adults and children.
CLAVUJECT is used in adults and children for the prevention of surgery-related infections.
> DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
You should never administer this medicine to yourself. It should be given to you by a qualified person, such as a doctor or nurse.
The usual doses are:
Adults and children 40 kg and over
|Usual dose||1 g/200 mg every 8 hours|
|For the treatment of infections during and after surgery||1 g/200 mg before surgery when administering the anaesthetic.
The dose may vary depending on the type of surgery. Your doctor may repeat the administration if the procedure lasts longer than 1 hour.
Children under 40 kg
All doses are based on the child’s weight in kilograms.
|Children aged 3 months and over||25 mg/5 mg per kilogram of body weight every 8 hours.|
|Children under 3 months or weighing less than 4 kg||25 mg/5 mg per kilogram of body weight every 12 hours.|
Patients with kidney and liver problems
- If you have kidney problems, you may be given a different dose. The doctor may prescribe a different dosage or another medicine.
- If you have liver problems, your doctor will monitor you closely and check your liver more regularly.
How CLAVUJECT is administered
- CLAVUJECT will be given by injection into a vein or by intravenous infusion.
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids throughout your treatment with CLAVUJECT.
- Normally, treatment with CLAVUJECT will not be continued beyond two weeks without medical advice.